COVID-19 Response Fund awards nearly $3 million to 14 local nonprofits aiding victims of coronavirus crisis in first round of grants
More than $11 million raised to date to help those affected by pandemic
Nearly $3 million has been awarded to 14 local nonprofits in the first round of grants from the COVID-19 Response Fund. To date, more than $11 million has been raised for the fund from corporations, foundations, individuals and local government.
The initial round of awards was distributed as direct grants by the COVID-19 Response Fund Grants Committee (see below for list of committee members). These grants ensure rapid funding for organizations on the front lines meeting basic needs for those affected by the pandemic: food, shelter, housing and emergency financial assistance.
A competitive grant cycle is now open for future grant awards. Mecklenburg County 501(c)3 nonprofits that meet eligibility requirements may apply; the next grant deadline is April 3. Visit uwcentralcarolinas.org/grants/COVID for eligibility requirements and to apply.
United Way of Central Carolinas President and CEO Laura Yates Clark said that in addition to the competitive grant cycle, the committee will continue to look at the needs of the community and prioritize those areas with direct grants. “We are approaching this from multiple angles, because the most important thing is that we act quickly and get the money flowing,” she said. “Nonprofits are being hit hard with requests to help, and this fund wants to be there to assist them in providing aid to those who need it the most.”
“Thanks to the generosity of all who have given so far, we are able to get money to these organizations that are directly assisting individuals in dire need,” said Foundation President and CEO Michael Marsicano. “However, this is just the beginning. We do not know what our demands will be in a week or a month, so it’s important we grow the COVID-19 Response Fund to be able to meet evolving challenges.”
Direct grants from the COVID-19 Response Fund include:
- $70,000 to Ada Jenkins Center to provide emergency financial assistance and support to individuals and families in North Mecklenburg.
- $75,000 to Camino Community Center to increase access to food and household products for the elderly and families.
- $75,000 to Charlotte Family Housing to increase rental subsidies for clients who have lost employment or income.
- $275,000 to Common Wealth Charlotte to provide no-interest loans and deferred payment schedule to workers in restaurants and hospitality fields.
- $75,000 to Communities in Schools to facilitate delivery of food and hygiene kits to homeless children and families living in hotels.
- $146,688 to Crisis Assistance Ministries to help those reside in motels – and are unemployed or have lost wages – remain in place.
- $100,000 to Latin American Coalition to set up a bilingual hotline and electronic clearinghouse to assist the immigrant community.
- $100,000 to Loaves & Fishes to assist with new delivery strategy required due to the crisis.
- $243,462 to Men’s Shelter of Charlotte to reduce numbers in its shelters, maintain staffing levels and provide rental subsidies to clients who have lost employment or income.
- $90,200 to Safe Alliance to reduce numbers in its shelters, maintain staffing levels and provide hotel rooms for domestic violence victims at highest risk.
- $138,448 to Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte to reduce numbers in shelters, maintain staffing levels and provide rental subsidies to clients who have lost employment or income.
- $500,000 to Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina to purchase food due to provide to those in need.
- $500,000 to SocialServe to work with landlords renting to families and seniors unable to pay due to the crisis, as well as help homeless families leaving hotels find secure rental housing.
- $75,000 to Supportive Housing Communities to increase mental health services for residents, provide stipends for residents who are volunteering, and assist with increased housing needs for residents who have lost employment or income.
A COVID-19 Response Fund Grants Committee has been established to review and distribute grants from the fund. The committee is made up of 17 local leaders representing a diversity of business sectors, backgrounds and Mecklenburg County geographic locations:
The committee is co-chaired by Tanya Blackmon of Novant Health and Edwin Peacock of Pomfret Financial. It also includes: Charles Bowman, Bank of America; Jordan Boyd, Rockwell AME Zion Church; Heath Campbell, Truist Financial; Alexis Coleman, Da-vidson United Methodist Church; Betsy Conway, Lowe’s; Dena Diorio, Mecklenburg County; Malcolm Graham, City of Charlotte; Mark Jerrell, Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners; Cliff Matthews, St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church; Brian Middleton, Atrium; Dee O’Dell, U.S. Bank; Jill Olmstead, LendingTree; Susan Patterson, community volunteer; Federico Rios, City of Charlotte; and Lisa Saunders, Christ Church Charlotte.
Foundation For The Carolinas and United Way of Central Carolinas launched the fund on March 16 to support a range of nonprofit organizations assisting members of the community, particularly those most vulnerable. It is administered through a partnership between the Foundation and United Way, in close coordination with the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
To contribute to the COVID-19 Response Fund, visit HelpCharMeck.org. Corporations and foundations that wish to make a donation may contact either Catherine Warfield, Senior Vice President of Philanthropic Advancement at FFTC, at 704.973.4515 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Clint Hill, Chief Development Officer at United Way of Central Carolinas, at 704.371.6359 or email@example.com.
Source: UWCC News
Date: March 27, 2020